Saturday, May 4, 2013

What I've Been Reading & Ebook Lending Site Roundup

Friend me on Goodreads!

As I've blogged about recently, I've been doing a lot of reading lately.  I've really started to get into reading books on my iPad, using the Kindle and Nook apps.  I've really been excited with the selection, the prices, and, of course, the free books that I have been able to find from all over the internet.

Here's what I've finished recently:

Twenty Weeks
I'm Listening with a Broken Ear
Believe in Me:  A Teen Mom's Story
 
The Girl Who Couldn't Say No: 
 The Memoir of a Teenage Mom

Wide Awake















Must Love Dogs (there's a movie too!)


Breaking Twig























Where did I find all of these books, you might ask? A few of them, I found for free on Amazon. But, a good chunk of them came from book lending websites. You list some of the ebooks that you have that you could loan out (you can only loan an ebook once) and they match you with a user who wants that book. You send it to him/her, it returns to you when the loan is up, and other users do the same thing for you. It's a great system. Here is a run down of my favorite book lending sites so far:

  1. BookLending So far, this is my favorite.  I've gotten several loans from this site and I've loaned out to several people.  This site is Kindle only and it seems to be one of the biggest sites on the web.  One of the things that I really like about this site is that if you say you want to borrow a book, it lets you know if there are a lot of people who are interested in borrowing that book (so you can have an idea if you should wait or not).  It also tells you if there are no lenders for that book, again to get an idea of that wait time.  If there are no lenders or there is a long wait, you should pay it forward and buy yourself  a copy of the book that way you can lend it out when you are finished!  You can set this site up to receive none, 1, 2, or 3 books a week (if there are copies available of things on your wishlist) that way you don't end up bombarded with books.
  2. Bookfriend.me If you are interested in books for your Nook and your Kindle, this is a great place to go because they organize loans in both formats.  So far, I've been pretty happy with this site even though it isn't my favorite.  The organization is a little clunky, but it's functional!  
  3. Lendink Lendink is another one of my favorite sites.  I've gotten several books using this service so far and I think that it's pretty cool. On the main page it shows available books (meaning that someone has a copy for loan on the site), which I love to browse.  Lendink uses a credits system, meaning that you can only have three books out through the site at any time.  I like this, but if you have a request pending for someone to loan you a book this means that if you don't get it right away, you have to delete it or wait until the person gets back to you.  I currently have three requested books that the lender hasn't responded to in over a week.  I'm going to leave them for a while, because I have plenty to read but it's still annoying. 
  4. EbookFling I have not tried this site out yet because I've been so busy with the others, but it has been one that has reviewed by others.  If you are interested, google it!
  5. Lendle So far, this site has done nothing but frustrated me.  When looking for popular books on this site, most of them have the max requests for loans reached so you can't even add it to your list of things that you would like to one day be loaned.  To me, that is pretty damn frustrating so I haven't spent too much time with this website.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, I came here from the Rav blogging group. This is a really informative post; I haven't really read books in the e-format yet but I'm glad you offered so much info about it to help readers learn more. I'm a new follower on GFC and looking forward to reading more of your blog. :)

    Jennifer
    http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      Thank you for your lovely comment! I will check out your blog. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm slowly getting the urge to go electronic with my reading, but the cost of ebooks was putting me off. But a free lending ebook site(s)? That is news to me! Thanks so much for posting the links and the info. This might be what pushes me over the paper edge, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also check out ebooks from your local library (that will be a separate post this summer, when I return home from college and start using my library again). My library supports OverDrive and Freading!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to view my blog. I love comments, I hope you leave one. :-)